Friday, July 31, 2009

Horror of Sin : The Curé of Ars

I posted the novena prayer for today yesterday. Somehow got the days mixed up, but I learned something in the process. Yesterday I pondered whether it was a blessing or a burden to be gifted with the charism of reading souls, for knowledge of the sins of others could be deeply unsettling without the right perspective.

Well, had I not bucked the novena's order I would have had the answer to that very question. Though he was horrified by sin, St. John Vianney was 'so sympathetic ' to our fallen natures and 'so ready to welcome the sinner'.
To see the situation with such loving clarity, to possess the ability to both admonish and love the sinner, can be nothing but the extraordinary grace of our all good, all powerful and unfathomably loving God.


JULY 30: HORROR OF SIN


Saint John Mary Baptist Vianney, you were so adamant against sin, yet so sympathetic and so ready to welcome the sinner. I come to you today as if you were still alive, as if I were kneeling at your feet and you could hear me. Bend towards me, listen to the repentant confidence for the weaknesses and miserable deeds of mine. Priest of the Lord, inexhaustible Confessor, obtain for me the horror for sin. You wanted us First to avoid the occasion of sin. I want to take your advice and make the resolution to break bad habits and to avoid the dangerous occasions of sin. Help me today to examine my conscience.Holy Priest of Ars, I have confidence in your intercession. Pray for me during this novena especially for... (mention silently your special intentions).


Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment